Regional Transportation Planning:
NACOG coordinates with the Arizona Department of Transportation and the local governments in NACOG's four-county region through data collection, priority programming, liaison and coordination services. NACOG also provides technical assistance and regional funding opportunities for local construction projects.
In 1997, NACOG staff prepared a regional transportation policy plan based on addresssing major transportation issues in the region. The policy plan identified major issues in the region and also included goals, objectives and policy guidelines. In 1998, NACOG staff, assisted by a transportation planning consultant, began developing a long-range regional transportation plan that focuses on regionally significant roadways.
Highway Planning and Research:
NACOG coordinates highway planning in Region III, serving largely as a liaison between ADOT and local governments. Major activities include:
- Data Collection - NACOG provides information to ADOT on roadway mileage under local jurisdiction in the region. NACOG also works to ensure that local governments submit building permit data for developing population estimates and through participation in the State Population Technical Advisory Committee (POPTAC), represents the region in establishing population estimates and projections.
- Priority Programming - NACOG works with local jurisdictions to:
- Identify state and federal funding sources for highway construction projects and to add routes to the appropriate Federal Aid System.
- Prioritize project requests in the region for state and federally funded programs.
- Monitor progress of project development
- Liaison and Coordination/Technical Assistance - NACOG participates on advisory committees for small area transportation studies, attends meetings of area transportation planning organizations, and represents the region at meetings of ADOT's Priority Planning Committee and the State Transportation Board. NACOG also maintains two advisory committees for transportation issues:
- Transportation Policy Advisory Committee (TPAC) - comprised of elected officials
- Technical Subcommittee - comprised of city, town and county engineers
NACOG participates in regional transit planning activities, including the coordination and review of transit funding applications.
- Section 5310 Program - This program provides federal funds to assist private, non-profit organizations and Indian Tribes with the purchase of vans or other vehicles for transporting the elderly and/or disabled persons. The program provides 80% of the cost of the vehicle with the local agency providing 22.5% matching funds, as well as cost of operating and maintaining the vehicle. NACOG is responsible for coordinating the application process, including the prioritization of applications.
- Section 5311 Program - This program provides operating assistance for local governments and Indian Tribles to provide transit for the general public. Capital assistance may also be provided under this program. NACOG annually reviews applications for consistency with the Regional Transit Development Plan.
For more information on Transportation/Transit Planning, please contact:
NACOG Transportation/Transit Planning
Attn: Jason Kelly
3130 Robert Rd. Ste. 1
Prescott Valley, AZ 86314
(928) 679-4250 FAX